Pages

Welcome to the World of Shakespeare. Please fasten your seatbelts ladies and gentlemen, sit back, and enjoy the ride! PS: Please keep hands and feet inside of the vehicle at all times. ;)

Friday, March 11, 2011

Much Ado About Nothing

http://www.byuarts.com/uploaded_large_images/Much-Ado-Large.jpg 

My focus has been narrowed down to how Shakespeare's works have influenced popular culture since written, as well as how we have taken and changed Shakespeare's works ourselves to fit our interests.

This Saturday I'm going to see the matinee showing of "Much Ado About Nothing". This is a modernized take on the story, and is set in a post-WWII stage. I intend to look at the following points while watching the production:

1. Has modernizing the story changed/added/detracted from any elements that Shakespeare originally included in the story?

2. How did the production crew go about changing it to a modern setting?

3. How would changing the setting to an even more modern setting further change the story line?

In preparation for the play, I will be going and reading the background on the original production of the play, as well as trying to read the original play prior to the viewing.

 I also researched some materials that I can use in my study of this topic and came across the book "Shakespeare and Modern Popular Culture" by Douglas Lanier. I think this would be a good book to read and apply to various popular renditions of the plays.