Pages

Welcome to the World of Shakespeare. Please fasten your seatbelts ladies and gentlemen, sit back, and enjoy the ride! PS: Please keep hands and feet inside of the vehicle at all times. ;)

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Prospero - A character analysis and comparison

 

So, ladies and gentlemen, I first and foremost must apologize for my atrocious lack of posting up until this point in time. I was privileged enough to return home and celebrate my birthday this President's Day weekend in California with my family! So, while I had all of my research and blogs written out, I must confess I didn't feel the urge to log on and post them up until now!

So, on to Shakespearean topics! First, The Tempest was really enjoyable to read. I liked the elements of magic, and I won't lie to you, I like happily ever after, romantic endings.

I was reading the Sparknotes major character analysis about The Tempest, and the thing that stuck out to me the most was the idea that Prospero is a surrogate for Shakespeare in the play. According to Wikipedia, "Many feel that since The Tempest was Shakespeare's last play (though he did write one more, with some assistance), Prospero's feelings echo Shakespeare's own."

Epilogue

Now my charms are all o'erthrown,
And what strength I have's mine own,
Which is most faint: now, 'tis true,
I must be here confined by you,
Or sent to Naples. Let me not,
Since I have my dukedom got
And pardon'd the deceiver, dwell
In this bare island by your spell;
But release me from my bands
With the help of your good hands:
Gentle breath of yours my sails
Must fill, or else my project fails,
Which was to please. Now I want
Spirits to enforce, art to enchant,
And my ending is despair,
Unless I be relieved by prayer,
Which pierces so that it assaults
Mercy itself and frees all faults.
As you from crimes would pardon'd be,
Let your indulgence set me free .
 The Sparknotes character review also noted that by having Prospero control the happenings of events on the island, and be responsible for carrying forward the plot, Shakespeare was "enabling the audience to explore firsthand the ambiguities and ultimate wonder of the creative endeavor."

When looking at Prospero's character in this light, it is really interesting to me to notice how Shakespeare involves his audience in this work. He gives us a glimpse into what it is like to create a world and story. He also shows us how dependent his works and successes are upon the audience and their reception. When Prospero gives his final speech, his ability to depart from the island and regain his dukedom rests in the hands of the audience. They had all the power to bequeath or deny Prospero his freedom and success, just as they had the ability to decide the ultimate acceptance or flop of Shakespeare's plays.